Part 11: Koffer Electrics
1 August 2013

So finally got round to sorting out the electric cables that hung for so long over the Day Bed waiting to be connected into a Fuse Box. It took one day to sort out as some of my labelling had fallen off over the 3 years that it all had hung here.

 How it has been for the last 3 years with labelled cables just hanging down the wall

 Tools and components laid out ready to hand as I use them

 My main power feed is a 35mm2 cable from the battery bank to a main distribution busbar that then has wires leading down to the individual fuses. All the black wiring is from 2.5mm2 cable.
The Ammeter shows the current coming from the Solar Panels

 I have put the power supply to the Stereo thru a 40A fuse and 25mm2 cable

 The Fuses are in and the Earth busbar mounted. 2 earth cables are soldered together as they join the stereo with the battery and the earth busbar. The surrounding box frame is now also in place.

 Finished with a switchable Voltmeter and Water Tank level meter. IVT Solar Regulator above.

 My battery box with an old 120Ah Banner starter battery from the truck thats still working, and my new Winner AGM Solar Free WF 230Ah battery
I always mark my batteries with the battery details: Ah & buying date as well as clearly mark + & -
I mark all my earth (-) cables with Yellow/Green electrical tape

New Solar Panel
September 2014

I had already a 100W  Polycrystalline Solar Panel ( efficiency of 11.3% and Max Current (Imp) of 5.46A) and now Ive  just added a 150W Monocrystalline Panel with an efficiency of 18% and Max Current (Imp) of 8.43A
With the 100W Panel I was able to get through sommer solely from its out put, but winter left me deficient. So Im hoping by adding another Panel I am able  to get through the winter using only Solar energy for all my electrical needs. I may need to add another panel yet!

I have mounted the panels with a system so that I can angle them towards the sun with an angle of 33° as during winter in Berlin we receive less amounts of direct radiation with approximately half arriving as diffuse radiation, due to frequent heavy cloud cover.
By using hinges with removable the centre pins (locked with a split pin) Im able to put in lifting spacers to set the angle.

The two Solar Panels on my roof.
Also can be seen is my Powerlink Outdoor Plus WLAN Long Distance Antenna, just in front of the roof hatch.

        This is the Panel in tilt mode

Detail of my hinge setup

            This is how Ive connected the system

I was using an IVT 20A, PWM Solar regulator but now Ive updated to a more efficient MPPT regulator.
Im using a Votronic MPP 430 Duo Digital

New Solar Panels
February 2018

In February 2018 I put two more Solar Panels on my roof as durring a winter in Danmark I am just not getting enough light.
 I am going to need to add some more before next winter as I know this is still not enough.
I have room for three more on the roof but will probably need to make something on the  ground to hold some of them.

I had to remove my ladder to make room on the roof. So I built a locking holding rack on the side of the Truck.

I have now run the Solar Panels through 40A switchable fuses (about to by replaced with 20A) so I am able to isolate each panel as I need.
Also I bought a Solar Computer for the Charge Controller so I can monitor how much Solar I receive each day. It is at the moment temporarily mounted until I get the time to set it into the wood.
Also can be seen is the Battery Monitor for keepiung track of the battery capacity.

Votronic B2B Charger 1212-25 IUoU
April 2015
I have just realised that I forgot to show my Battery to Battery Charger, B2B. In 2015 I fitted a Votronic B2B Charging Converter VCC 1212-25 IUoU. This alows me to charge the battry while driving. It keeps the batteries seperate and only charges the House battery once the Truck battery is full and charged. I mounted it just above the water tank in the compartment right beside the battery compartment, to keep the cable length to a minimim.
Mine is 12volt to 12 Volt at 25 Amps.

                                                                                                      Return to "Trucks New House"
                                                                                                     Go to "Part 12: Water filter"

Make a free website with Yola